We’ve been getting ready for Easter, with a little egg coloring fun. We tried the shaving cream color this year too. That was a neat trick for the kids. It’s where you put shaving cream in a shallow pan, add a few drops of food coloring, and run a toothpick through, swirling the colors. It creates a neat tie dye effect on the eggs. It’s a little messy, but the kids seemed to enjoy it. For the other eggs we did the old fashion way of food coloring, vinegar, and water.
I cracked up this morning when I over heard my toddler tell her grandma that we colored eggs in mom’s coffee. At first I was confused till I realized I had used coffee cups to dye the eggs in. Kids come up with the funniest things sometimes. I just wonder what she tells people when I’m not listening.
Now that the eggs are colored and ready for hiding, it’s on to the Easter food prep. What better way to end Easter dinner, than with a cheesecake stuffed carrot cake.
I’m a cheesecake fan anyways, but adding it to an already delicious carrot cake just takes it to a new level. And it’s so easy to create that cheesecake center.
Once you mix your batter just pour half into a greased bunt pan.
Add the cheesecake layer.
And top with the remaining cake batter. Done! It’s that simple.
This cake bakes up so moist and creamy, you’ll be heading back for seconds and thirds of this decadent dessert.
I just love a great carrot cake and this one doesn’t disappoint in any way.
- CARROT CAKE:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 small vanilla pudding
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups oil
- ¼ cup sour cream
- CHEESECAKE FILLING:
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 (8ounce) cream cheese
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Carmel Sunday topping (optional)
- Cream Cheese Filling:
- Using a mixer whisk cream cheese for 4 minutes on high, add in sugar and mix for an addition 2 minutes. Add egg, sour cream and cinnamon, whisk for 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside
- Carrot Cake:
- With a mixer, whisk eggs for 3 to 4 minutes on high. Add in both the white sugar and light brown sugar. Whisk for additional 3 to 4 minutes, till egg mixture is frothy.
- Add in oil, sour cream, cinnamon, pecans and carrots, mix well.
- In a separate container mix flour, baking powder, pudding mix and salt. Slowly stir dry ingredients into wet, mix well
- Pour half of cake batter into a greased bunt pan. Top with a layer of cheesecake mixture. Careful to keep in the center of the pan, avoiding the side and center. Top with remaining carrot cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Flip cake right side up, onto a plate to cool.
- Cake Topping:
- In a bowl mix together powder sugar and milk
- Top cake with icing drizzle and Carmel ice cream topping