When I think comfort food, I think of chicken and dumplings, creamy chicken pot pie, or fluffy buttermilk biscuits with a rich gravy, poured over top. That’s why this Chicken Biscuit Bake is a win no matter which of those you prefer.
Chicken and gravy topped with a fluffy buttermilk biscuit topping. Doesn’t that sound delicious?
This is my oldest daughters favorite dish and I can easily see why. It’s so good!! 🍴 🍴 🍴
To make the filling you start by cooking and dicing your chicken breast.
In a microwave safe bowl cook frozen peas and carrots for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender and then drain them.
Next mix your gravy which is made of sour cream, cream of chicken soup, salt and pepper.
Add in your diced chicken, peas, and carrots to the gravy. Pour in a 9×9 casserole dish and set aside.
In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder and sugar.
Then add your oil and slowly stir in your buttermilk until mixed. Don’t over work your biscuit dough. The key to fluffy biscuits, is not over working it.
There may be a few lumps, but that’s ok. Also, dough may seem a little wet, that’s also fine.
Pour biscuit dough over chicken filling.
Bake at 350 for 20 to 22 minutes. Remove from oven once your biscuits start to lightly brown. Brush top with melted butter.
All that’s left to do is grab a fork, and dig in!
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced small
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups frozen peas and carrots
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ cups self rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, or whole milk
- Place frozen veggies in a microwave safe bowl. Cook 3 to 4 minutes; drain well
- Mix together sour cream, cream of chicken soup, salt and pepper. Once mixed, stir in diced chicken, peas and carrots. Pour into a 9x9 casserole dish.
- Mix flour, sugar, and baking powder together. Then pour in oil and buttermilk. Stir gently until mixed. Do not over work biscuit dough. There may be some lumps
- Pour dough over chicken mix. Place in oven and bake @ 350 for 20 to 22 minutes, or until topping becomes slightly brown
- Brush top with butter