Generally by tradition, a cobb salad has red-wine vinaigrette dressing. I personally love this salad with a herby ranch dressing instead. It really brings out the great flavors in the salad. The sharp taste of crumbled blue cheese, perfectly juicy chicken, crispy bacon, and smooth avocado, all topped with creamy goodness. My mouth is watering just talking about it. This is by far one of my favorite salads of all time. It has so much flavor packed in every bite.
Normally, when I say we are having just salad for dinner, I get a look from my husband. You know, the one that says where’s my meat. But, if I start with we’re having a cobb salad for dinner, I hear no complaints. This salad is loaded with enough meat and protein, to fill up any man, or woman’s stomach.
You can cook your chicken anyway you prefer for this recipe. I diced mine and pan fried it on the stove in a bit of bacon grease. If the weather was a little warmer I probably would have grilled it. Whether it’s pan fried, baked, boiled, or grilled, you can’t go wrong on this one. This salad is bound to be a favorite any way you cook it.
Try it with my buttermilk ranch dressing. Here’s the link: http://www.southernsimmer.com/buttermilk-ranch-dressing/
- 2 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into small bite sized chunks
- 3 boiled eggs, sliced in half
- 6 slices of thick cut bacon
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, washed and chopped
- 4 green onions, diced
- 10 to 12 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Seasoned salt and black pepper for seasoning
- In a large pan, fry bacon slices over medium heat, until crispy. Set bacon aside to cool. Once completely cooled, crumble into small pieces
- Using 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease, fry chicken chunks in skillet over medium heat. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper. Cook chicken until no longer pink inside.
- In a large bowl add lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, blue cheese, bacon, onion, and chicken.
- Toss well and serve with your favorite dressing