I had a crazy nightmare. I dreamed I was laying in bed and somebody kept dumping baskets of dirty laundry on me. I couldn’t move, I was frozen in place. Eventually, I couldn’t breath, slowly suffocating under dirty, stinkin’ clothes.
Hmmm, death by laundry! What a sad way to go. How would you interrupt that?
I have a few ideas. Maybe it was something I ate before bed, or maybe I feel overwhelmed by my domestic duties. Either way, I found it very interesting.
Having a family of five, laundry is one of those things I feel I can never get ahead of. I’ll wash every piece of laundry in the house, go back an hour later, and a mysterious pile of clothes has magically appeared in the floor of the laundry room.
My ten year old has the habit of trying on multiple outfits before school. If she doesn’t like it, she just tosses them into the dirty clothes instead of hanging them back up. She doesn’t know it yet, but I’m on to her. I’m thinking of hanging her dirty clothes back up in her closet instead of washing them. That will get her attention after a few weeks. I’m kidding of course, but it would be a funny idea.
Oh the struggles of being a parent.
One thing I don’t stress over in life is making wholesome, homemade meals for my family. My mother cooked for us every night growing up. Even when she worked a full time job and seemed exhausted when she got home. Now I’m not saying everyone should make a homemade meal every evening. I realize different people have different obligations and lives that don’t always allow for that. However, I like sharing recipes that I feel are delicious and easy enough to make on a weeknight.
Cooking should be fun and easy. Not a chore. Laundry is a chore!
I like giving you simple recipes like this crispy chicken sandwich. It is so good on its own, but adding the smoky mustard sauce just puts it over the top. It’s a tasty combination of mayo, yellow mustard, and hickory smoke BBQ sauce.
The finished result is an unbelievably tasty chicken sandwich. My daughter went crazy over these. The best part is they can be made in 30 minutes or less. It doesn’t get any better than that.
Now, if you don’t mind I must go for now. I have some dirty laundry to tend to. Wish me luck!! 😜
- Smoky Mustard Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ⅓ cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 rounded tablespoon hickory smoke BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Chicken Sandwich:
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1½ cups seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- 5 large whole wheat buns
- Sandwich style sliced pickles
- In a bowl add yellow mustard, mayo, vinegar, sugar, and BBQ sauce. Stir until blended well. Cover and set aside or place in refrigerator until ready to use
- On a dinner sized plate, add seasoned salt, pepper and garlic powder to flour, mix well
- In a separate bowl or plate, add bread crumbs
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs, until completely blended
- Start a dredging station. First dip chicken into egg wash, then flour, back into egg wash, then breadcrumbs, and finally back into flour. Make sure each coating covers well. Repeat process until all chicken is breaded
- In a Dutch Oven add 1 cup canola oil, heat oil on medium high heat
- Once oil has reached a medium high temperature, only cooking two at a time, carefully add in chicken, turning after approximately 5 minutes, or until each side is browned. Move chicken to a cookie sheet. Repeat process until all chicken is browned
- Bake chicken @ 425 for an additional 20 minutes, or until chicken has reached the internal temperature of 170 degrees and juices run clear
- Place 1 tablespoon, or more, of smoky mustard sauce on bun. Add sliced pickles and lettuce.
- Serve immediately