What do you do when your oldest child wants macaroni and cheese for dinner, but you really want chili beans? Well that’s easy. You put them together and make a delicious pot of mac and cheese chili.
Chili is one of those hearty meals that I could eat once a week. I love any kind of stew, chili or soup. No joke, I can’t ever remember eating a bowl of it that I didn’t like. Basically, if you can use a bowl and a spoon to eat it, count me in.
There have been many nights I’ve came home searching the fridge for something quick and easy to make. A screaming baby in the background. A toddler hanging from my legs repeating the words “Mommy I hungry.” Homework to be checked. Baths to be given…You get the point!
Chili has been my go to on many occasions. Not to mention you can serve a family of four for under ten dollars. plus you’ll have leftovers for a next day lunch or toss in the freezer for a later date. This tasty dish can be cooked quickly on the spot, or simmered all day in a crockpot.Make a crispy pan of Mexican cornbread or some sweet corn muffins, and you’ve got a feast. This recipe is super quick and so simple. You’ll be done in no time. Spend that extra time doing something else with your evening. Read a book, take a bath, play with your babies. Or you could
do some laundry. Ok let’s not get carried away, right?
Just sauté your onions and garlic. Brown your meat. Toss in the rest of your ingredients and simmer till done. Easy!
Top with a heap of cheese, add a dollop of sour cream, yum!
There’s just something comforting about eating a big ole bowl of warm cheesy chili on a cool fall day. 🍁 🍁 🍁 🍁
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes-smash in pot
- 1 (15 ounce) can light kidney beans
- ½ medium onion diced
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- ½ cup macaroni noodles
- 1 package McCormick chili seasoning mix
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup of shredded Mexican style cheese
- Sour cream for serving
- Cilantro (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- In a 5 quart pot or Dutch Oven sauté onion in oil on medium heat, cook until tender
- Add ground beef, cook until browned
- Add minced garlic, let cook 1 minute
- Add chili mix, onion salt, cumin and whole tomatoes to pot, let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes
- Add noodles and kidney beans, let simmer another 8 to 10 minutes, or until pasta is tender
- Remove from heat, add cheese to pot
- Garnish each serving with sour cream and cilantro